The first time is always unforgettable – first love, first heartbreak, first win in a competition, first time traveling etc. When it comes to music, it unites all of us. Everyone has a song on their playlist that gives them uncontrollable whiff of emotions, memories, feelings. If you play an instrument yourself you will understand what a satisfying feeling it is to be able to not only listen but to create music as well. We have made a research for you and prepared the list of Best Beginner Electric Guitars. We will make your very first experience with your very first instrument unforgettable, as choosing can be really tough due to many options. Here are top products that we recommend you.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 10 Best Beginners Electric Guitars
- 2 Tips for beginners
- 3 So, you bought a guitar, then what?
- 4 Conclusion
Top 10 Best Beginners Electric Guitars
|1||ESP LTD M100FM||(4.9 / 5)||Check on Amazon|
|2||Yamaha Gigmaker EG||(4.8 / 5)||Check on Amazon|
|3||Epiphone Slash “AFD” Les Paul||(4.8 / 5)||Check on Amazon|
|4||Squier by Fender “Stop Dreaming, Start Playing” Set||(4.7 / 5)||Check on Amazon|
|5||Epiphone Les Paul||(4.7 / 5)||Check on Amazon|
|6||Squier by Fender Affinity Stratocaster||(4.6 / 5)||Check on Amazon|
|7||Dean Vendetta XMT||(4.6 / 5)||Check on Amazon|
|8||Sawtooth ST-ES-SBB-KIT-3||(4.5 / 5)||Check on Amazon|
|9||Pyle-Pro PEGKT15B||(4.4 / 5)||Check on Amazon|
|10||SX RST 3/4 CAR Short Scale Red Electric Guitar Package||(4.3 / 5)||Check on Amazon|
Tips for beginners
When it comes to choosing your very first guitar, there are several things you need to think about really carefully before making a purchase:
- Know it all – First of all, you need to know your budget, as there are unlimited options. If you are looking for best starter electric guitar, you can find pretty good options, however you might want to consider changing it sometime as you will gradually learn more and the instrument should grow together with you. You need to learn more about how guitar is constructed; which part is responsible for making sound the way it is and some other stuff beforehand.
- Do not buy cheap – Keep in mind that there is a big difference between cheap and affordable products. You need to find affordable but not the cheap and crappy one.
- Have a vision – You need to see very clearly what are you going to use this guitar for, is it just for fun? Are you planning to use it for garageband? Maybe concerts? The purpose of guitar plays significant role in choosing it. For example, the 10 G amplifier that comes with most of the all-inclusive guitar packages is considered as bedroom amp, therefore it will not do good job for concerts, however it definitely is enough to annoy your parents and neighbors as well.
- Should you upgrade? – Another important thing about purchasing guitar is that you need to make up your mind about whether you plan to change and upgrade it in the nearest future or not, because once again, as you develop your skills and learn how to play better and better, your need to have an instrument that will give you the opportunity to grow will grow as well. It is always a better idea to find something a bit over your budget, because the change in price can be very slight, but the product itself can have some pretty good upgrades.
If you are a parent, trying to get your child interested into music, we advise you to purchase guitar of the size that suits your child. We reviewed above one of the guitars that you might want to check out – SX RST 3/4 CAR Short Scale Red Electric Guitar Package. The standard measurements are:
- 30-inch guitar length for ages 4-6
- 34-inch guitar length for ages 6-9
- 36-inch guitar length for ages 9-12
- Standard size for ages 12 and up
So, you bought a guitar, then what?
Well congratulations, you did almost half of the job as it is tough to choose suitable instrument. It is like when Harry Potter was unable to find the perfect wand, but once he did he connected with it in the best way possible.
- There are a lots of tutorials on the internet that can guide you through your learning process and give you the idea of guitar itself, basic chords, strumming patterns etc. You are able to purchase specialized DVD as well which has guitar lessons from a professional musician. Such kind of DVD is included in the all-inclusive packages of some instruments from the list above, so that makes the job even easier. But in any case, you can always find a tutor and learn everything from primary source, but you should not forget that at the end how well you do absolutely depends on you, your persistence and motivation to learn.
- There is a debatable rule of 10.000 hours needed to learn to play on a new instrument. One thing is 100% true – learning process is really tough and takes a long time. You need to be patient and give yourself some time. Don’t have an expectation that you will be a rock star right away; start with something simple and you will slowly get better. There are many simple chords, so start with them instead of struggling with barre chords right away. Some of your favorite songs that are too complicated are simplified for beginners and there are tons of tutorials on YouTube and other websites. You should find patience and strength to struggle with fear of failing and make sure you don’t give up. If you practice day by day you will improve and rock out.
As far as children are concerned, here is a lot more work to do. As a parent you would really love to see your child perform, expressing their emotions, developing musical skills. That is why we would advise you to ask your child which guitar does he want more -classical or electric? What color does he want it to be? That will get him even more interested, excited and eager to learn. This motivation is extremely important because learning process is long and difficult, especially for children. It takes a lot of practice and time, so your child should be prepared for it mentally in the first place.
Do keep in mind that if you are not purchasing an all-inclusive guitar pack, you will need to purchase amplifier and cable separately. You might also need picks, a strap and a bag for carrying the instrument safely.
When looking for best electric guitar for beginner, you should pay attention to technical details of it:
- Body style defines how the guitar is constructed, determines the resonance it has. There are three types of bodies: Hollow, Semi-hollow and solid. The hollow body is perfect if you plan to play jazz, soft rock, blues, country as it has very resonant and rich sound. Solid body fits more hard rock, heavy metal, punk as they do not resonate but give you harsh notes.
- Body wood: If you plan to have your very first guitar for a long time, you better pay attention to this feature as well. Most of the beginner guitars are made of cheap wood, it is good but when you are experienced you need to have more exquisite instrument. Going from cheaper to more expensive are: Basswood, poplar, alder, paulownia jumping to pine, mahogany, swamp ash, etc.
- Neck: It is very important to have a comfortable neck. It needs to be smooth and silky to let your hand easily glide.
- Pickups: There are two kinds of pickups – Single coil or Humbucker. Single coil pickups tend to have brighter, crisper tone, they are more likely to have sort of “biting sound”, whilst Humbuckers have “thicker” and warmer sound.
- Bridge: Electric guitars have two sorts of bridge-tremolo and fixed. Tremolo bridge can be dunked, and crazy sounds made etc. but maintenance is harder and more fiddly. A fixed bridge is not ‘floating’, and cannot be dunked as far and this allows for very quick easy string changes, and easy allowance for drop tuning, together with higher grade tuning stability.
- Frets: Usually electric guitars have anywhere from 21 to 24 frets. They need to be extremely comfortable. When you play guitar on regular basis frets eventually wear down, especially those that are not the best quality. In that case you will hear a fret buzz, so be aware.
To sum up this article, we have given you the list of the best beginner electric guitars. If you would like to start playing instrument the minute you get it, we would advise you to purchase all-inclusive packages and jump right into it. Alternatively, amplifier and other accessories are always sold apart. As far as the instrument is concerned, you can choose any from the list that fits your needs and expectations. Choosing your very first beginner electric guitar can be tough, but with the right instrument you will be able to rock out very shortly.